Monday, January 5, 2015

medical laziness

I was diagnosed with Hasimotos disease way back when i was 9. At this point there was only 3 people diagnosed with this condition in my country (New Zealand) and oddly enough the other two were boys!

Mum first thought something was up when she noticed a goiter. Before long i was on thyroid medicine. I speak of this from my experience only. I am not a doctor or a medical professional.

Hasimotos to make a long story short is what causes 80% of "hypothyroidism" cases. Which is an auto immune disease that attacks the thyroid gland and doesn't allow it to do its job. The thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland inside your neck.


What is the thyroids job?

It regulates temperature, metabolism, brain function, weight, skin moisture, energy levels and a host of other things.
Basically a low thyroid makes you depressed, lethargic, and more than likely overweight. And as you can imagine a high thyroid (hyperthyroid) causes the opposite effect.

I have had this condition so long, that i have learnt to live with feelings of fatigue without really knowing what it is like to live without them. I have been through pregnancy, childbirth, and many life changes.

Thyroid disease is a life long issue. And requires ongoing maintenance and check ins. But it is manageable.

I spent a good portion of 2014 off my medicine. It was the first time in years that i had gone so long without a dose. BAD IDEA

Before long i was freezing cold, and could never get warm. I was getting hardly any sleep. My hair began to thin. My skin thickened and dried out. My voice became husky. My eyes were always red and felt so dry and gritty. And i was always exhausted. It was hard to lift my arms, and all i wanted to do was lay down. My face got puffy, and i put on 20 lbs. My memory faded, and i had struggles even doing my day to day routines.

This was a huge wake up call to me. I got my medicine sorted, and am currently tweaking my dose. I have begun getting serious about researching new developments and ways to eat that benefit me. The internet has been an invaluable resource.

If you suffer from thyroid disease or think you do, seek medical advise you are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment